Free Trivia Quiz #11 - Miscellaneous Sports Questions
Fun Trivia questions and answers - Questions about the Boston Marathon, the Baseball Hall of Fame, the National Football League, Steve Young, the Houston Astros and more.
- What Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher hit a home run in his first
major league at-bat--and never hit another?
- What baseball player hit the only home run of his 212-year major
league career off his own brother?
- What 1921 sporting event took up all of the first 13 pages of The
New York Times --except for a little space on the front page devoted
to the formal end of World War I?
- In the National Football League, how many footballs is the home
team required to provide for each game?
- Brooks Robinson and Carl Yastrzemski hold the major league
baseball record for playing the greatest number of seasons with the
same team. How many years did they play-- and with what teams?
- Why is the site of a boxing match called a ring when it's square?
- In the very first Boston Marathon, 15 runners competed. How
- How long is the average pool cue?
- Under the rules outlined in the charter of the International
Olympic Committee, how much pure gold must there be in each gold
medal awarded to first-place winners?
- What professional ice hockey star didn't hang up his skates until
he was 52?
- What is the state sport of Alaska?
- Who was the first athlete to hit a major league home run and make
a professional football touchdown in the same week?
- Who was the famous great-great-grandfather of San Francisco 49er
quarterback Steve Young?
- Who was the first professional athlete to win championship rings
in two major sports?
- How long and wide is the balance beam used in Olympic gymnastic
- What sport besides football did famed fullback Jim Brown compete
and excel in while he attended Syracuse University in the mid 1950s?
- How much did a one-minute TV spot cost advertisers on the first
Super Bowl broadcast in 1967?
- How many of the four Grand Slam trophies in tennis are gold; how
many are silver?
Answers to Free Trivia Quiz #11 - Sports Trivia
- New York Giant knuckleballer Hoyt Wilhelm, in 1952.
- Joe Nickro in 1976. Nickro, a pitcher with the Houston Astros,
hit a four-bagger off his brother Phil, who was pitching fro the
Atlanta Braves. Houston won the game, 4-3.
- The July 2nd heavyweight championship bout between Jack Dempsey
and George Carpenter, the first fight to gross over $1 million in
gate receipts. Dempsey won in a fourth-round knockout.
- 24--although from 8 to 12 are usually used.
- 23 years. Third baseman Robinson played with the Baltimore
Orioles from 1955 to 1977; Carl Yastrzemski, outfielder/first
baseman, played with the Boston Red Sox from 1961 to 1983.
- Boxing rings were originally circular.
- 57 inches.
- At least 6 grams. Silver medals must be at least .925
- Gordie Howe, who played in 1,687 games in the National Hockey
- Jim Thorpe, in 1917. He did it a second time in 1919. Deion
Sanders was the second athlete to accomplish the feat---70 years
later in 1989.
- Mormon leader Brigham Young.
- Gene Conley. He pitched for the Milwaukee Braves team that won
the 1957 World Series, and was on the Boston Celtic teams that won
National Basketball Association championships in 1959,1960 and 1961.
- Length, 16 feet 3 inches; width, 4 inches.
- Lacrosse. He made All-American.
- Only the Wimbledon trophy is gold; the others--for the U.S. Open,
the French Open and the Australian Open--are sliver.